Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Station 1: Kidpix Pictographs

Part I: About the Station

  • KidPix Pictographs
  • Partner: Katie Dunbar
  • This station allowed us to explore KidPix and create different images using the features of KidPix. We also worked with Microsoft Word tables and Clip Art.
  • We described what a tally was on Microsoft Word. Then, created a tally chart with Microsoft Word using Clip Art and tally marks. After the tally chart on Microsoft Word, we worked with KidPix to create another type of tally chart. Finally, we created discussion questions that could be used with the tally chart results. In the second part of our activity, we got to use KidPix to create a snowman. Different features of the snowman described different aspects of ourselves.

  • We both did our own tally sheets, tables, KidPix tables, questions, and snowman.
Part II: Your Work




















Above shows a screenshot of the Word Document I created. This screenshot captured the definition of a tally, in words that a Kindergarten student would understand. It also provided images for the students to view.









This screenshot also came from the Word Document. It gives the students an explanation for how tallies will be used in the following activity.
























This is an example of the tally sheet I created on Word. It provides pictures above the sport names so the students can understand exactly what category it is.




















In the above screenshot, you can see various discussion questions I thought related to the activity and could be used during class.



















Here is a screenshot of the tally sheet I created using KidPix. KidPix provides a much more interactive way of graphing and displaying information. Also, kids can have a lot of fun with it!





This final screenshot also comes from KidPix. It was what I created as part of activity two. This snowman contains different features because of the person I am. For instance, there are 18 snowflakes in the background because I am 18-years-old.

Part III: What did you think?

  • If I were the student, I would really like the topic. I love sports so it would be interesting to see which sports my classmates liked. I also would really love playing with KidPix. It would fun to express yourself using a program that offers so many features. From the teacher perspective, I would really like seeing how creative the students would get. Some students may be super artistic and produce amazing work. As a teacher, you may also learn a lot more about students by seeing their artistic side and how they interpret things.


  • As a student, there is really nothing that I did not like about the activity. I thought it was really fun, even at 18-years-old. As a teacher, it would be difficult to grade this activity. This may force a teacher to assign participation points for those who completed it. Also, in group work, you never know who is actually completely the work.


  • KidPix was definitely exciting! I had never used KidPix growing up, but I really enjoyed it. I think that I will try to integrate this program into my teacher because students will enjoy it. I am suprised that I enjoyed playing with it so much, but I am still a kid at heart :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment